‘Excellent. I would recommend this course to anyone who’s wanting to get into writing.’ – Carol
A two-day weekend masterclass offering the most in-depth exploration of travel journalism currently available.
This inspiring weekend explores all the key concepts in travel journalism, taught by experienced travel editors and writers from the national media.
Suitable for all levels, it’s a hands-on interactive event that will lift your writing to a professional level. It includes professional insights, writing practice and pitching advice, in a small and supportive group of kindred spirits.
What’s in the course?
Top professionals share their own secrets for success. Focused on the practicalities of getting your travel articles published, key content includes:
- Writing practice and feedback
- Describing people and places
- Structuring articles
- Finding angles
- Intros and endings
- Writing with facts
- Working on the road
- How to pitch
- What editors want
- How the market works
- Building a freelance business
- The digital future
- Next steps
- Lyn Hughes, editor-in-chief of Wanderlust magazine, iconic figure in the travel journalism (July course).
- Nick Boulos, Travel Writer of the Year, widely published freelance travel journalist, former Travellers’ Tales student (July course).
- Pat Riddell, editor of National Geographic Traveller magazine (November course).
- Jonathan Lorie author of The Travel Writer’s Way, freelance travel journalist and former editor of Traveller magazine (July & November).
‘Both the guest editors were such lovely generous people and it was an honour to meet them. I will of course be contacting them!’ – Leanne
Date: 6-7 July 2019, repeated 30 Nov-1 Dec 2019.
Location: central London, UK.
Price: early price £270, full price £300.
Level: beginners, returners and advanced.
Early booking discount
Book early for a 10% discount. Available up to 4 weeks ahead.